The Foundation is currently running a fundraiser and we need your help
to get the word out! We've been sharing updates each week about what
GNOME accomplished in 2020 and we're asking you to spread these stories
to your colleagues, friends, and family. You can help boost our
fundraising efforts by sharing the posts you see on GNOME social media
channels (e.g. Twitter <https://twitter.com/gnome> and Mastodon
<https://floss.social/@gnome>), or creating your own and linking to our
News articles <https://gnome.org/news>. This fundraiser is really
important to us. It helps the Foundation carry out its mission to
support the GNOME community. Community donations help us continue to put
our community and users first.

Current News posts include:

  * We’re Building the Future of GNOME
    <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/11/were-building-the-future-of-gnome/>
  * GTK: At the Heart of GNOME
    <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/11/gtk-at-the-heart-of-gnome/>
  * GNOME Builds Community
    <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/12/building-amazing-events/>
  * “GNOME Has Been My Favorite
    <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/12/gnome-my-favorite/>”

GNOME is supported by our generous network of donors
<https://gnome.org/support-gnome>—our Friends of GNOME. Whether someone
donates $5 or $5,000, we value those contributions just as much as any
merge request. Donations build up GNOME, provide necessary
infrastructure, and power new initiatives.

In 2020, donations supported:

  * GTK4 development
    <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/11/gtk-at-the-heart-of-gnome/>;
  * Technical and infrastructure support for Flathub.org
    <https://flathub.org>;
  * Our legal case against Rothschild Patent Imaging, a patent assertion
    entity;
  * GUADEC, GNOME.Asia, GNOME Onboard Africa Virtual, and the Linux App
    Summit <https://www.gnome.org/news/2020/12/building-amazing-events/>;
  * Hackfests, including accessibility and GTK hackfests at FOSDEM;
  * A supported instance of video chat software Big Blue Button for
    GNOME <https://meet.gnome.org> and free software community use;
  * Two internships through Outreachy <https://outreachy.org>; and
  * Community and staff training to make the community more welcoming
    and safe for everyone.

Our plans for 2021 are even more ambitious and involve sustaining our
ongoing work while building up new initiatives and support for the
growing GNOME project and community. In the upcoming year, we will:

  * Organize GUADEC, GNOME.Asia, Pan African GNOME Summit, and the Linux
    App Summit;
  * Host virtual social events at conferences like FOSDEM;
  * Have hackfests for teams and working groups across the project;
  * Progress on the Community Engagement Challenge, including announcing
    the winners at GUADEC 2021;
  * Lead in technical and infrastructure development, including more
    services for the community;
  * Release two more GNOME editions;
  * Find more opportunities to push forward smaller projects within the
    GNOME ecosystem;
  * Hire more interns for paid internships in free software;
  * Provide financial and logistical support for people speaking at
    conferences and participating in events on behalf of GNOME; and
  * Launch new initiatives, including Faces of GNOME, web site updates,
    new swag, and increased conference participation.

In order to build the future of GNOME, we need people to join us and
become Friends of GNOME. To help support our 2021 initiatives, we're
looking for 50 new Friends of GNOME to join by January 5, 2021. Every
donation helps grow the GNOME project and supports our community.
Donations are processed through CommitChange
<https://us.commitchange.com/ca/orinda/gnome-foundation/>.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

The GNOME Foundation Staff