Greetings,

      I am new to this list and have a few questions regarding
foundry's ServerIronXL , specifically dealing with the SLB portion
with regards to source-nat and remote servers.  Basically the question
is and I am already certain I have the answer, but am looking for
confirmation from outside sources: "In a remote server environment
(non-local to the SLB) with source-nat enabled, the requests and log
entries are from the SLB, not the clients, in this setup is it
possible to pass the client address to the servers NOT local to the
SLB, and continue to work in a remote configuration.

Many Thanks in Advance,

JW
From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu Oct 14 09:54:55 2004
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David J. Hughes)
Date: Thu Oct 14 09:55:15 2004
Subject: [f-nsp] SLB ServerIron XL Question
In-Reply-To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
References: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


Hi.

You don't always have to use source-nat just because the
real server is remote.  You only need to do that if the
default traffic path from the remote server back to the
client does not pass through the serveriron.  Source
natting just ensures that the return traffic from the
real server will pass back via the serveriron (where
it's un-natted - if there is such a word :)

If you can default route from the real server to the
serveriron via the intermediate router, or use PBR
or similar on the intermediate router, then you can
use remote server configuration and still allow the
client's IP address to be presented to the real server.


David
...


On 14/10/2004, at 11:44 PM, John Willingham wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>       I am new to this list and have a few questions regarding
> foundry's ServerIronXL , specifically dealing with the SLB portion
> with regards to source-nat and remote servers.  Basically the question
> is and I am already certain I have the answer, but am looking for
> confirmation from outside sources: "In a remote server environment
> (non-local to the SLB) with source-nat enabled, the requests and log
> entries are from the SLB, not the clients, in this setup is it
> possible to pass the client address to the servers NOT local to the
> SLB, and continue to work in a remote configuration.

Reply via email to