Gentlepeople - Recently I've tried the "host-range" method of load-balancing a large (36) number of consecutive VIP's to 2 real web servers using DSR. At first, it "worked" (at the time, only the first 2 of the 36 VIP's were bound as loopbacks to each of the real servers), but I've run into some behavior that leads me to question the viability of this method not only for my needs, but under any circumstance. Namely-
1. Even if the application ports on the real servers (http and ssl, in this case) are "Failed", the VIPs are still directing traffic to the real server(s). 2. Only the first VIP in the range seems to be receiving a layer-4 health check. Furthermore, even when it fails, other VIPs seem unaffected. 3. (maybe more 2a) If, for example, the first real server does _not_ have a particular VIP bound as loopback, but the second real server does, the serveriron is sending the first request to the unconfigured first server every time (since I'm still testing, there is no traffic to the VIPs at this point) I'm using ServerIron XL's running 7.4.0T12 code. Does anyone use the host-range feature in any sort of serious deployment? Are there workarounds for the issues I've run into? Thanks in advance, Matt --
