On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Mike Allen wrote:

> Off-hand, I think you want to go with link-agg active as opposed to
> passive.  Not sure about the trunk commands, normally that would be for
> setting up static trunks, but I don't remember the exact process in
> older versions of switch and code (which I am guessing this is).  If you
> could send model and version, that would probably help, the link
> aggregation config has changed pretty dramatically over the years.

Without wishing to detract from the original poster's question, I have a
related one.

I once looked at doing this with some non-Foundry kit and some Linux box a
while ago: the client wanted to aggregate 4x 1Gb/s links for greater
bandwidth (but not pay for 10Gb/s :).  Unfortunately, the connection over
that link was pretty much from one client to one server (the latter was
connected at 1Gb/s), and while the Linux client seemed to understand
various modes of operation to spread traffic across several physical
links, the other_vendor equipment didn't support it in the
single-connection scenario: the connection was assigned a link based on
various combinations of src/dst IP/mac, but only one link was selected for
any particular combination.

I'm a bit hazy on details now, but given the scenario of a single client
trying to multiplex essentially one traffic stream to a single server over
aggregated links, would that have been doable with a Foundry device?
Something about "mode 0" at the Linux end rings a bell.

Jethro.

> Mike
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM, panicloop <panicl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We did the connection test between cisco switch and linux server
> > for "802.3ad bonding" mode.
> >
> > And we confirmed the following cisco's configuration works OK.
> >
> > --- begin ---
> > !
> > interface Port-channel1
> >  switchport mode access
> > !
> > interface GigabitEthernet0/1
> >  switchport mode access
> >  channel-group 1 mode active
> > !
> > interface GigabitEthernet0/2
> >  switchport mode access
> >  channel-group 1 mode active
> > !
> > --- end ---
> >
> > And this time, we need to replace the cisco with the foundry switch.
> > We did the foundry settings like following, but this doesn't works.
> >
> > --- begin ---
> > !
> > interface ethernet 9
> >  link-aggregate passive
> > !
> > interface ethernet 10
> >  link-aggregate passive
> > !
> > --- end ---
> >
> > Please anyone tell me how shoud I configure foundry switch.
> > Should we do like following?
> >
> > --- begin ---
> > trunk ethernet 9 to 10
> > write memory
> > trunk deploy
> >
> > Sorry , I'm a linux guy and don't know much about switch.
> > We need to connect the foundry switch and linux server using "802.3ad
> > bonding mode".
> > Thanks in advance.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.