On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Brad Fleming wrote:

> We’ve seen it since installing the high-capacity switch fabrics into our
> XMR4000 chassis roughly 4 years ago. We saw it through IronWare 5.4.00d.
> I’m not sure what software we were using when they were first installed;
> probably whatever would have been stable/popular around December 2010.
>
> Command is simply “power-off snm [1-3]” then “power-on snm [1-3]”.

Ah I see it ... I was looking for "SFM"s not "SNM"s!

I also echo the poster's questions about how you notice the corruption.
I have a suspicion I may be seeing similar things; particularly so with
UDP-based transactions like NTP and RADIUS which could pass through such a
chassis.  But I also suffer on CPU spikes with mcast traffic on that
chassis too which has always been an issue for me.

Thanks.

Jethro.

> Note that the power-on process causes your management session to hang
> for a few seconds. The device isn’t broken and packets aren’t getting
> dropped; it’s just going through checks and echoing back status.
>
> -brad
>

> > On Feb 16, 2015, at 7:07 AM, Jethro R Binks <jethro.bi...@strath.ac.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Brad Fleming wrote:
> >
> >> Over the years we’ve seen odd issues where one of the
> >> switch-fabric-links will “wigout” and some of the data moving between
> >> cards will get corrupted. When this happens we power cycle each switch
> >> fab one at a time using this process:
> >>
> >> 1) Shutdown SFM #3
> >> 2) Wait 1 minute
> >> 3) Power SFM #3 on again
> >> 4) Verify all SFM links are up to SFM#3
> >> 5) Wait 1 minute
> >> 6) Perform steps 1-5 for SFM #2
> >> 7) Perform steps 1-5 for SFM #3
> >>
> >> Not sure you’re seeing the same issue that we see but the “SFM Dance”
> >> (as we call it) is a once-every-four-months thing somewhere across our
> >> 16 XMR4000 boxes. It can be done with little to no impact if you are
> >> patient verify status before moving to the next SFM.
> >
> > That's all interesting.  What code versions is this?  Also, how do you
> > shutdown the SFMs?  I don't recall seeing documentation for that.
> >
> > Jethro.