List,

I have been monitoring the XFree86 list for a while now.  They have been
working through the bugs with the Open Source X Server for Windows.  There
is finally a version that works pretty well under NT and Windows2000.  I am
using it to display the DM on my laptop.  I do not have all the font issues
resolved yet, but I am new to X and such things as font directories and the
like.  You can find more general information at http://xfree86.cygwin.com/

The specific install instructions are at
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/howto/cygwin-xfree-ug.html  See the section
on setting up Cygwin/XFree86.

The latest executable from the developer is at
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/  There are also some screen shots
of remote gnome and KDE.  I have run the OpenLook window manager from
the  Sun box on the server to give the familiar blue background, but
running a remote window manager gives sub-optimal performance.

If you have questions, search the mailing list archives at
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/.  If you ask a question to the
list, make sure you search the archives first. The developers that answer
the list questions are terse with newbie questions that are in the archives.

I like the idea of using Apache to provide information to users in your
organization because it does not tie up DM licenses, but if you need an X
server on the cheap, keep an eye on this one.  It is still a bit early for
general consumption, but it looks like their next release will be worth the
trouble.
Winston Jenks
Technical Director, Cape Software, Inc.