To complicate the issue further, there are a few other scenarios we should
consider for our definition of what a bootless CP upgrades is:

1.  Some CPs are installed as non-Fault tolerant.  In fact, there is a
version of the CP60 that can not be made Fault Tolerant (not sure if it is
a physical limitation or just a license limitation).  Are we asking for a
bootless CP upgrade for this type of installation?

2.  Do we consider the Micro I/A to be a CP?  It is to me, but it can not
be made Fault Tolerant.

                    "Neil Martin"

                    <Neil_Martin@hun        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] AT i-net@CCM
                    tsman.com> AT           cc:     (bcc: Neil
Martin/US/PC/HUNTSMAN)
                    i-net                   Subject:     Re: Back on the
Soap Box

                    07/19/00 04:51

                    PM

Folks,

I also would very much like to have bootless CP upgrades.  Since it can be
a complicated issue and may have different meanings to each of us, maybe it
would be helpful if we are all on the same page about how we are defining
an on-line upgrade and also that we have similar ideas as to how the CPs
function in general terms.  My assumptions are listed below, what does
everyone else think?  Feel free to make corrections.

1.  First, my understanding of block processing is that  the CP image (or
what ever you call it) contains one instance of the software for each block
type can possibly exist within the CP type.  This is like having a software
template for each block type.  When we create a block, basically it is just
the fill-in-the-blank text information and compiled sequence code that gets
downloaded into the CP.   Every block processing cycle, the CP goes down
the list of blocks in order looking for a block that needs to run, and
basis its block type, it runs the correct block software template and loads
the template with the correct information for processing.  By not
duplicating all of the software for a block every time a new one is
created, the CP saves on memory.

2. In the past, I believe the CP image could only be changed via a reboot
of the CP.  For a boot;less CP software upgrade, are we suggesting that
Foxboro a) not make any changes to the CP code - i.e. not make any
corrections, new parameters, or add features, b) not require the CP to be
rebooted to continue to operate as it previously has, c) to somehow make it
so that the CP processing can be put on hold while all of the block
template information is being changed out (If it takes a while, is it OK?),
or d) some other suggestion?

                    "Stear; Bo"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     "'Foxboro Mail Forum'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    m> AT i-net          AT i-net@CCM,
"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> AT
                                         i-net@CCM

                    07/19/00             cc:     (bcc: Neil
Martin/US/PC/HUNTSMAN)
                    04:43 PM             Subject:     Back on the Soap Box

Ok folks, time is drawing near for us to put our heads together and inform
Foxboro of our most important issues.  The International Users meeting is
just around the corner.  Let me repeat myself:

It is costing my company (and me as a stockholder) lotsa bucks to prepare
our process people, engineering people, and technical staff for an upgrade
to any Control Processor image.  It's dangerous and scary as well.  Some of
us have processes that can't possibly be interrupted for years at a time.
I've just recently found myself installing I/A on a furnace with an 18 year
turnaround.  Try that online...

Here's the plan.

Rather than give Foxboro too many issues to choose from, I would like to
get your help in making sure that a REAL online upgrade capability be the
TOP POLE item on any list they wish to compile this year.  We can only
accomplish this by putting aside some of our other (to me) smaller issues
until we either get this commitment or have them state that they can't do
it, ever.

Understand that this is a major undertaking and even if we can get this
done, it won't happen anytime soon.  I'm sure it will take a new way to
utilize the dual fieldbus and FT CP's to make this happen both on the
hardware and software side.  Until I am convinced that this is an
impossible request, online upgrades are my top priority.  I do know of at
least one other vendor that claims this capability.

For those of you that will be attending the meeting, please post your votes
with mine.

For those of you that can't attend, please write a C.A.R. requesting your
version of an online upgrade capability.  Do this BEFORE the meeting so
that they can start to get a feeling for our dedication.

Like you, I have a 'wish list' too.  I would really like to look around at
my 22 node system and find that I don't have anything to do.  No software
bugs, no CP reboots, no failed FBM's or processors.  These are short term
goals and you all probably know that I'm working very hard with Foxboro
(and I might add they are working very hard with me) to improve the quality
of the control software.  In the long run though, I hope that we all
realize that there will NEVER be the final version of I/A and that, even
without software problems, new releases are inevitable.  How are we going
to get from here to there?

To be removed from this list, send mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with "unsubscribe foxboro" in the Subject. Or, send any mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]