[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Darryl,
>
> Regarding the script file, if you want to compile a list of AW/WP-51s
> generically that works for all I/A systems, you may want to query hldb. This
> is the way I do it in one of my script files:
>
> # AW51 is a list of AW-51s (hldb type 309)
> AW51="`grep 309 /usr/fox/sp/hldb | awk '{print $1}' | sort`"
> # WP51 is a list of WP-51s that can receive graphics (hldb type 409)
> WP51="`grep 409 /usr/fox/sp/hldb | awk '{print $1}' | sort`"
>
> There are, of course, other ways to do it. Some are much more elegant than
> mine.
Yes, it's also in /usr/fox/customer/hi/dmcfg. The problem is that you
don't really want the DM or hostname (Letterbug) but the hostname or IP
Address of the second ethernet port of the machine that hosts the DM.

I thought of a mapping file but this still needs to be maintained. Any
thoughts?
It is possible to use /etc/hosts and alias the second port name with the
DMs that each machine supports but all of our machines use the primary
DM name as the letterbug of the station. This means that the primary DM
would be in the hosts file twice. Maybe this is not a problem if you
never wanted to call the primary DM to a remote display. We actually
have only one AW that does not use the local display for any DMs (All
remote).
We actually use NIS+ as our name service so this may be quite viable.
(Single point of maintenance).

Darryl