On 12 okt 2004, at 22:12, Marc Weustink wrote:

M:> Is a sigbus catchable so that you can read the data and continue as if nothing happened (or is that something at OS level)

That is normally possible, yes. But as Florian said, it's quite a bit of work and also extremely slow (you get 4 context switches per unaligned access, + the work to load the value).

M:> Let the user take care of alignment makes me a bit itchy. I don't get a good feeling with it.

I think it's normal he has to. We also don't emulate the 80-bit extended type on processors which only have a 64-bit double precision fpu. We also don't emulate endianess. Portability has a lot of pitfalls.

M:> But how are members of packed records accessed ?

Just like members of regular records. The difference is that there are simply no alignment bytes between the different fields of the record.

Jonas