>> Hi,
>>
>> From what I understand from the definition of THandle in
>> sysunixh.inc it is defined as a LongInt, even on 64 bit platforms.
>> Currently I'm porting Lazarus to x64 and there I need a 64bit
>> THandle, how to solve it ?
>
>File descriptors are still 32bit on x86_64, therefor Thandle=32bit.

A THandle is more than a file descriptor alone.
Since the LCL is VCL compatible and thus MS biassed, there are more
THandles than filedescriptors alone. To keep code compatible and portable,
I need a 64 bit THandle on 64 bit platforms. (on win64 a handle is also
64bit).
Or would you suggest to use HANDLE for a 64bit handle and THandle for
32bit ?

Marc