Vincent Snijders wrote:
Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

I felt that results of this discussion are so important that I created a page in FPC wiki about it:

http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Avoiding_implicit_try_finally_section

There's an URL to mail archives of this discussion, and a small demo program that shows trick proposed by Mattias how to avoid this implicit try...finally block.

(I also created Writing_efficient_code page, that links between FPC page and Avoiding_implicit_try_finally_section page).

Michalis.

Did you try this with today compiler?

I think Peter Vreman turned of implicit try finally for resource strings.

Vincent.

I just updated from CVS and rebuild FPC, and indeed, timings of my test program are now
Time of Foo_ResourceString: 18
Time of Foo_ResourceString_Faster: 16
So it's fixed in compiler. Great!

Are there any other cases where this issue may be significant ? If no, I'll mark this wiki page clearly as "only for FPC earlier than 2004-12-28" (to-be-removed when 2.0 comes in), else I will update it.

(Note: we can continue this talk on wiki page
http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Avoiding_implicit_try_finally_section
already started by Vincent with that question)

Thanks!
--
Michalis