I had exactly the same situation with fpc for fink and solved it exactly as suggested by Daniel Herzog. I would go for Individual bootstrap tar balls for each arch, because this saves a lot of bandwidth. I called the one for macosx/darwin: fpc-1.9.8.darwin.bootstrap.tar.gz. maybe it should be fpc-1.9.8.darwin-ppc.bootstrap.tar.gz. But since we do not support darwin-x86, yet, I did not consider the cpu :)
The tar ball includes the bootstrap binary and the default fpc.cfg file.
Is debian for linux only? If so, just the combination of linux with every cpu is needed, and not any combination of os and cpu. But even for a case of any os with any cpu, do you really think that case would be to much?
What is your guess about the distribution impact through debian packages. I guess is that it is noticable, what actually have to wait and see the effect of the fink package.

Best wishes