Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 14 dec 2005, at 18:33, Marc Weustink wrote:

In my test (Mac OS X/PPC, rtl and program compiled with register variables, text buffer of 64kb) readln's overheid is negligible. The large cost comes from writeln. The reason the C version is so much faster is because its output is buffered as well. We automatically flush the output after each writeln (i.e. after each writeln of 60 characters), while in C this only happens at the very end of the program for 128kb of characters at a time.

Another speed improvement will be disabling IO checks for write, {$I-}

That code only takes 0.5% of the time, not really relevant.

OK, in some other benchmarks I got a (imo) serious ~10-20% speed improvement by doing so (and all pieces help:)

Marc