On 17 mei 2006, at 20:19, L505 wrote:

We wouldn't have to use sysutils yet.. we could make a custom Dos unit
which used "longstrings" instead of short strings, but keep the old
Dos unit for compatibility..

This still means that someone has to finish and test longstring support in the compiler, and create this longstring Dos unit for all platforms. That's more work than it may seem, and partly wasteful since Dos is only a legacy compatibility unit.

In fact, not all the shortstrings would have to be changed to long strings. Just some
path related ones.

As I've said already many times in this thread: of course only path- related stuff has to be changed in the compiler.

Jonas