Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 01:56:38PM +0200, Micha Nelissen wrote:
>> the library name correctly according to that distro's packaging rules)
>> then all dependent software is automatically recompiled for the new
>> version (and name), and thus no one notices any breakages. Except 3rd
>> parties like us.
>
> This is not for inbetween releases, since not all software will be
> automatically recompiled in all cases.

Then a lot of users of FreeBSD tracking 6.0 or development, or how you'd
call it, should have gotten into trouble as well (since there were no
symlinks) ?

> And in this case specifically it
> doesn't matter at all.

What doesn't matter and why ?

> Moreover source and binary packages can be used
> together (and in practice, are), and there are build clusters (pointy hat)
> that check this.

What do they check ?

> It only is true for full releases, since that forces all apps to recompile,
> then we get the heat. But this is also so on Linux, usually we only get the
> indication that something is wrong when new distro (+version) emerges.

Mainly I guess because we do not have manpower to check more often :-).
Not that I'm saying we should have to check that often...

Micha