On 8 nov 2006, at 11:47, Martin Schreiber wrote:

There will *always* be bugs in the latest release which cause it not
to work for some people. If we'd release a 2.0.6, that situation
would not change and some of those people would also think that their
bug is so important it requires a new release.

I don't think we need an 2.0.6 release but a continuously updated fixes_2_0
branch.

a) this has become more or less impossible now, because last week the internal structure and name of several often-used types changed in the main branch (which means you're going to get conflicts in every merge now) b) before that, it would have taken useful time away from main development. I think such updating could in fact be perfectly done by someone else than the core developers. In general you don't need intricate knowledge of the compiler or other things. Before committing, just check whether everything still compiles after merging and whether there aren't any regressions in the test suite.

Jonas