> > We need a version system.
>
> That's not something "we" need, but which most OS'es need
> (and don't provide, except for hacks like symlinks or
> different filenames).
> Moreover, it doesn't really solve much unless you like having
> 20 different versions of the same shared library on your
> system (which would more or less defeat the purpose of saving
> space, although it could still save memory if more than one
> FPC program is running at the same time).

If I understand well what you mean, Vista has versioning of that kind, you
can ask to see older versions of any file and restore the one you want. A
small caveat is that for files that don't exist currently anymore (deleted)
there's no GUI to get them (or one I haven't spotted yet) and you need to
make a dummy file with same name, then right click it and go to Properties,
then ask for the older versions (there's a special tab for that on the
dialog). Not sure if the Basic version of Vista has this functionality
available (I tried it with Vista Ultimate)

George Birbilis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2007
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"