Op Fri, 18 Jan 2008, schreef Marc Weustink:

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Peter Vreman wrote:

I suggested using Lazarus and the OP said he had great doubts because the size of the exe of his test program is 10 times the size of that compiled by
Borland.
Anyone who writes such texts doesn't look further than his nose.
Experience shows they will just hit the next thing which makes Lazarus
"unusable". Don't expect such idiots to become Lazarus users.
That is partly true. The problem is that setting -Xs doesn't help if there is also -g in the command line. So people think that the compiler strips the executable, but in fact the binary is
unstripped.

The easiest way to solve this is with a check in Lazarus. When the strip checkbox is checked a note shall be shown and asked to disable the debuginfo to make the option work.

The real solution is what a lot of people already asked for. Multiple build modes like Visual C++
also has.

I think this is indeed the best, and should be not so hard to implement; At least the check would be already a hint to users.

:)

We thought about this some years ago. It is not as trivial as it seems. Initial problem was to present all possible options to the user.
The tree based optiondialogs might help with this.

The FPC IDE has had it for years. All user interface support you need is the Options->Mode menu. For the rest the handling all internal; the IDE uses an array of options, one for each build mode, each with its own defaults.

Daniël