peter green schreef:

I have just checked the manual and I don't see anything I can use to make sure my custom type starts at a predictable state initially (nessacery so they assignment operator can safely clean up before making the assignment). Nor do I see anything to do automatic clean up when the variable goes out of scope.
That's the point....
You don't have to! With the java system the string type is immutable anyway so there is no point in doing a deep copy.

Which is imo - in the case of Java, but especially in the case of c++ - proven to be no at very smart idea. You want both and you want them recognizable by the compiler....