That obviously is the reason why Turbo - Delphi uses UCS-2 (16 bit)
instead of OF UTF-8 or UTF-16 for WideStrings (and WideChar is a 16
bit (UCS-2) value).

You didn't read  http://www.jacobthurman.com/?p=30 , did you?
They are talking about Delphi 2009, of which I don't have any information at all (and don't intend to bother with until there is a free "Turbo" version of if).

I just talked about the current free "Turbo Delphi" version which obviously uses UCS-2 (plain 16 bits) and not any UTF (variable size) coding.

As discussed in the messages here, any UTF coding would result in a huge overhead e.g. when doing something like s[4] := c; (s: WideString; c: WideChar) as the (potentially huge) tail of the string would need to be moved around according to the different sizes of the codes of the previous s[4] and c.

-Michael