On 15 Sep 2009, at 11:32, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

As far as I know FPC doesn't have Unicode support like Delphi 2009+ has.
Yet, when I query a WideString property, the RTTI functions now return
tkUString. tkUString is the Delphi Unicode string - but FPC doesn't
support that yet? So why is it in FPC 2.3.1 (the next release candidate)?

The reason is that a new string type called "unicodestring" was introduced, which is basically a reference-counted widestrings on all platforms (also on Windows, where widestring is an OLE-widestring rather than a reference-counted widestring). On all non-Windows platforms, widestring=unicodestring.

I guess that FPC should simply write tkWString also for this unicode string type, since that's effectively what it is. Florian?

Jonas