On Tue, Mar 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Marco van de Voort
<http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=15795> wrote:
> I'll reiterate my opinion that first a decision about what the working
> stringtype of the RTL will be.
> IMHO there is no decent solution till there is a real utf-8 type (read
> cpnewstr)

The whole reason for the package, is not to wait for cpnewstr being implemented.
That's the point that package's interface uses UnicodeString, rather
than ambiguous "String" type (that's currently system dependent).

> Note that the recent update does not tackle my main gripe at all, the main
> units interface is still UTF-16 on Unix,
> it just translates it to UTF-8 in the backend.
Yes, it does so and i see no problems here. The package also converts
UTF-16 to ansi encoding for Win9x.
Converting string from UTF16 to UTF8 (or any other encoding) is not
much time penalty comparing to the time of the file operation itself.
Btw, the current RTL implementation also forces a user to convert a
"string" type to utf8, to work correctly on Unixes for unicode names.

thanks,
dmitry