In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:

It's not because you don't see a need, that others don't have it;
there is no point in discussing that, we will never agree on that.
Just like I don't discuss religion with people.

Well, there's your precedent problem, right there. Those are exactly the
arguments that are used for every language extension or deep system change.

Together with "it won't hurt that much", and "it really is only this time"
and "most people won't even notice".

For each individual proposal, we always make up the balance of pros and cons.

You know this, I know this. I preferred a large Unix unit, you preferred it
split in several. You got your way. Rightly so, you did most - if not all-
of the work. That's how it works.

That is an impossibility, since then we cannot use it in the FCL/LCL, which
is one of the requirements:

Well, if you are going to push this through pigheaded, there is nothing more
to discuss, isn't it?

There is no need for terms like 'pigheaded'.

So please propose something else, something you concede is not the
optimal solution, but which you are prepared to accept, lacking the
optimal solution.

I do not see one. If one puts you one cm of a wall and says not to question
that position, but to find a solution, you simply don't have much working
space.

I am open to alternatives. Like I said: if you want to start with a clean
slate: I'm all for it, and prepared to discuss, design and code. And
document in the end.

But I also see a need to change the classes unit. So it will be changed,
because several others see the same need, and I am prepared to do the work and maintain it. Just like it has been for 15 years of open source collaboration
in the FPC team.

I give you the option of proposing something alternative - granted, within very strict limits, but you can't always get want you want.

Even Mick Jagger knows that.