On 8/14/2011 14:09, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 12 August 2011 14:12, Michael Schnell  wrote:

But you can't use the Lazarus GUI designer. I feel that without same the
development is far more stressful.

GUI designers are not always needed. Take MiGLayout manager for Java.
It is extremely easy to create a GUI without the need for a GUI
Designer. And yes, even complex UI's are a breeze to code up with
MiGLayout.

i can't help but to look back to my dBaseIII/IV days and note that i never had a GUI designer for graphical or textual modes yet i churned out several hundred apps that were then manually massaged for numerous similar tasks... one of the most popular was a shipping management app which competed directly with one of the major shipping apps... i can't recall the name of the company but it started with a 'B' IIRC... anyway, the app started off as strictly shipping... then a warehouse management module was added... then a production module and finally there were billing and order entry modules... all of these were meshed into one of the premier dBase/Foxbase accounting apps available at that time... graphical stuffs were just barely starting to take hold at that time...

if i had had to do the dBase style forms stuff, it would have been a total nightmare... instead, we opted to go for "standard" drawn interface screens that had no clue what a "form" was... this was also back in the day when a database was what is now called a table and joining several databases into a relational setup was all the rage... tables and forms were totally alien concepts back then ;)