On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

michael.vancann...@wisa.be schrieb:

Normally I use TFileStream's, which have a Size property. But I find it nasty to open an file, when I only want to know its size. FPC (like Delphi) lacks some basic file/directory handling functions (Size, Remove, Rename...), at

I think you didn't look very well in the docs.

DeleteFile
RenameFile

After I couldn't find it in the FPC docs, I looked into the D7 docs, where many more functions are listed in "File management routines".

I understand that FPC has to implement some functions with the Delphi names, but when most other file related functions start with "File", how should a user know (and search for) names *ending* with "File" :-(

I repeat: you didn't search very well.

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/renamefile.html
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/deletefile.html

They have the same names as their Delphi counterparts.

I agree the filesize is missing.

I will look into adding them to the documentation topics.

Thanks :-)

IMO a separation into topics "File handling" (FILE based) and "File management" (by filename) would be a good idea. Now I also found an topic "General File handling routines", but it seems to list only Posix functions, not avaialble on other platforms - should read "Posix File ..." instead?

Where did you find this topic ?

I will investigate what can be done to make the topics more clear and
helpful.

As already mentioned, I still miss platform independent versions of the file management routines. Lazarus implements some routines, but IMO these should become part of the RTL, not of FCL or LCL.

Which ones do you think are missing apart from FileSize ?