On 22 Dec 2011, at 16:42, Sven Barth wrote:

While with OpenCV this issue might be solved by recompiling it (which I'd yet need to look into, because I'm simply using the provided binaries), what should be done about closed source code?

Closed source code should be compiled with a compiler that respects the ABI by default. I guess most of it is compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio, which does presumably does that. I don't think that any compiler other than GCC can create code for Win32 that assumes a 16- byte aligned stack.

Somehow this motivates me more to add a "stackalignment" modifier...

Then you would have to add this to all routines that may (directly or indirectly) a routine from a broken library.

Jonas