On 01/01/2013 13:18, Jonas Maebe wrote:
On 15 Dec 2012, at 19:35, Martin wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to do that, or what I do wrong. I found a page
about $codepage, but it did not help
http://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support
I didnt find the fpc specific page, if exists (I suspect it does)

I am calling a function "function Foo(A:string)" {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
I call it with a constant, that contains an german umlaut. Checked with a hex
editor, the constant in the source file is utf8

- If I save the source (in utf8), without a utf8 BOM, then it works fine on
windows.
- If I had a bom, then the string received by the function appears to be ascii (checked
memory dump in debugger "oe" becomes d6
- if I add {$codepage utf8} it also becomes ascii

If I do *not* add that, it seems something gos wrong with the encoding on a
PowerPC Mac. Unfortunately this is someone else's pc, and I have no more info.
If I add it things also go wrong, only different. Again no more info.

-----------

I know the provided info, is very little.
There is not enough information to be able to give an answer. Source code,
source code, source code.

Problem is, the original issue does not happen on my hardware.
It is about an issue with the test case in components/EditorMacroScript. But only happens on powerPC hardware. I only have/had an extract of the results. From the looks ofwhat went wrong, and what was the output (calculating char positions) utf8 coding was/is a strong suspect (not confirmed though.

On my hardware it is normally all fine, but fails if I add the $codepage. I could spent a lot of work boiling that down to a sample. But given that I couldn't even find the docs what I really should expect, and therefore might be doing something wrong, I thought I go first looking for what should happen.

Add {$codepage utf8}
on top of
  lazarus\components\macroscript\test\testscriptprocs.pas

and the behaviour changes so that the test will fail. (there are utf8 constants in the source, and it appears, that with the $codepage the called code does NOT get that utf8 string, but something else instead.