I've been building firewalls over the last few days using Debian "Wheezy" (i.e. current/stable), and notice that the file command now shows executables created by gcc etc. with a buildid:

$ file /usr/src/netdate/trunk/netdate
/usr/src/netdate/trunk/netdate: [...] dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=0x1edca47e667ad763724c1ea85da7029b03c0dc62, not stripped

I think this facility was introduced by ld version 2.18. Is this something that FPC should be considering? Even if it weren't used to store a checksum of the "normative parts" of a binary, having an encoded description of the compiler (version triplet, optional revision etc.) could possibly be useful.

Possibly the most useful thing would be using it to indicate the exact CPU that a binary was compiled for, since as I understand it this is an area not well covered by the ELF headers.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk