On 09/26/2014 11:36 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
so that we're not groping in the dark based on your account of his recollection of the rumours he's picked up from sources that might not be reliable.
I was just trying to help fpc to be a winner (here and elsewhere). ;-)

In fact it seems that he was wrong assuming this to be a language feature. The experts here state that it's just library stuff that - of course - can be used / implemented via fpc.

Of course the colleague was not able to clearly distinguish between fpc and Lazarus. But we obviously are in the wrong forum here, as the "culprit" seems to be the inability of Lazarus LCL to do event driven programming in threads. Obviously a library with this feature can be created (the "closed" design of TThread - that includes a single main-thread event queue - in the RTL might force creating an alternative Thread container object though.)

-Michael