I would have preferred that you always use the new function when available, but since you'd then be doing what Microsoft is already doing, so I won't make
a point out of it. I will apply and test the patch, thank you.

That was my original plan, to use the new API by default.

But then I decided to stay on the safe side, for compatibility reasons, continue using old API when you make the call using old API constants (CSIDL_*). For example, old API adds trailing path delimiter while the new API does not. Of course, users should ensure their trailing path delimiter themselves, but there could be other peculiarities which might affect the end users.

So for now, users of GetWindowsSpecialDir can make a conscious decision to upgrade to the default use of new API by using FOLDERID_* constants instead of CSIDL_* constants.

Denis