On 04.04.2018 20:03, Jonas Maebe wrote:
On 04/04/18 19:32, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
On 04.04.2018 18:53, Jonas Maebe wrote:
On 04/04/18 18:44, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
I want to stress that the compiler emits a warning on code that does not have (and also cannot have) an error

An error is wrong code behaviour. If you do not initialise a variable with the correct value, then you can have an error.

No, no, no and again no. Do you try to convince me that I cannot rely on well documented compiler behavior?

No. You replied to the above sentence out of context. The context was given in the next sentence:

This correct value can be different from "empty string" or "nil".

No, I replied perfectly within the context. Read again:

Myself: "I want to stress that the compiler emits a warning on code that does not have (and also cannot have) an error". You: "An error is wrong code behaviour. If you do not initialise a variable with the correct value, then you can have an error. This correct value can be different from "empty string" or "nil"."

The compiler initializes the variable implicitely for myself - this is documented and I know it. There cannot be "wrong code behaviour" (as you stated) and thus I cannot have an error. This is simple logic.

With your logic I should get a warning all over the code. Even after an assignment:

I := 5;

The compiler may think that 5 is not the correct value I want there? Maybe it should warn me that I wanted a 6 there? The warning could state: "An error is wrong code behaviour. If you do not initialise a variable with the correct value, then you can have an error. This correct value can be different from "5"."

If I want to have a different value from "empty string" or "nil" I know I have to initialize it by myself. I don't need a warning for it.

Then turn it off.

I must not. Turning off warnings is forbidden. Turning off hints and notes is OK. That is the rules.

Please do not get me wrong - I am perfectly fine that the compiler emits a message in this case. But I am not fine with the fact that the level of this message is a WARNING - the same level that real code errors are reported.

Ondrej