On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

On 02.07.2017 18:55, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
On 02.07.2017 18:49, Jonas Maebe wrote:
No, there is no built-in checked conversion from integer to arbitrary enumeration types. That's why I suggested in the bug report that started this thread to file a feature request for such a conversion.

Very good :)

Are there any disadvantages of the enum-AS operator that prevents its introduction?

Someone else could already have code that overloads the AS-operator in this way, and such a change would break this (you cannot overload operators with a built-in meaning). I would be in favour of a new intrinsic.

If I am not mistaken, the AS operator cannot be overloaded - so no chance to break legacy code here.

Because

1.) you agreed that a built-in checked conversion from integer to arbitrary enumeration type is wanted and 2.) the AS-operator cannot be overloaded and thus the only argument against enum support for AS is not valid

I introduced the AS operator for enumerators in https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33603

Nice idea, Ondrej :)

Michael.