Well, I would argue that when computing log(x) of any base, as x tends to
0 from a positive number, log(x) becomes a progressively more negative
number to the point that, yes, it's undefined, but that's only going by the
definition of limits.

 The issue here is that my proposed logarithm functions work not on
floating-point numbers, but integers, primarily for the sake of speed and
application.  There is no way to store a NaN or plus or minus infinity in
an integral type, which means the only other option is to raise an
exception.
 For truly mathematical functions with a continuous domain, then yes, it
should return proper values.  I suppose what I'm proposing is not the true
base-2 logarithm, but two functions that do the following:

 FLog2(x), x element of N (natural numbers), including zero

 0, x = 0
 floor(log2(x)); x ≠ 0

 CLog2(x), x element of N, including zero

 0, x = 0
 ceil(log2(x)); x ≠ 0

 (Not easy to describe when you can't use proper mathematical notation in
an e-mail!)
 In this instance, it's less about mathematical correctness and more for
the sake of convenience, because only a single input (zero) would be
undefined, and for the sake of bit lengths and loop iterations, 0 is a more
convenient value than throwing an exception or returning something
undefined or potentially hazardous like $FFFFFFFF, which if passed blindly
into a for-loop, will cause 4.29 billion iterations..
 Gareth

 On Wed 13/06/18 00:45 , Wolf wv99...@gmail.com sent:

Hi

I object to one component of Gareth's proposal - to make log2(0)=0. The
problem lies not with what Gareth wants to do with it, but what other
people will use it for once it becomes available.  log2(0) is undefined
(and undefinable, as it is not a computable number), the appropriate choice
for log2(0) is to make it Not-A-Number (NaN).

FLog2(0) = NaN = CLog2.

Such a choice would avoid the mess Gustavson got himself into when he
mapped [1] 0 and 1/0 onto the same number - a mapping that has many
advantages for computing, but eventually destroys computability [2]. To a
lesser degree, this mess is already present in the IEEE 754 standard for
floating-point arithmetic, and thus led to, to put it mildly, computing
difficulties [3], difficulties that many programmers gloss over - or simply
ignore.
  I will have to say more about this when I am ready to file a bug report
on floating point exceptions, since Gareth's proposal has deep links to how
floating point numbers are defined - and why they were defined such.

 Wolf