> But I will not argue the point, it is largely a matter of personal
> interpretation
> of the intended use of an enumerated.

Well, yes. Since any argument from authority is discarded, what remains is
personal interpretation.

> But I will definitely adapt the FPC documentation to be more clear about the
> actual
> behaviour of the compiler.
And this is why we can't have nice things.

Please don't get me wrong (really!), this is nothing against your work
specifically, but that the documentation has to follow the implementation and
the implementation follows no particular philosophy at all is what got this
interpretation of the language into this mess in the first place.

FPC is in dire need of a language specification effort. But I don't think anyone
who would be willing to drive it cares enough at that point.

Martok