I don't recall using "as" or "is" directly, but if I've done so, I humbly apologise and will fix that right away.

Gareth aka. Kit

On 09/07/2019 06:41, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
Am 08.07.2019 um 02:52 schrieb J. Gareth Moreton:
On an extra note, the assembly language produced is not yet optimal, so it may end up that an x86-specific implementation will be beneficial.  TIsNode contains a virtual method named "DoVariableEnumCheck" that would allow such an extension, coupled with returning "nil" that would defer code generation to "pass_generate_code" (allowing this, but not overriding "pass_generate_code", will trigger an internal error, because the 'is' node normally never allows it to be called).  Nevertheless, even if that is a no-go, it's making me a little excited to see if I can find new peephole optimisations to implement.  But until my old x86_64 overhaul is accepted, rejected or reworked (at least to make it successfully merge), I can't really make any new additions yet.
Some non-technical remarks regarding code formatting (I know the compiler does currently not use a consistent style, but there is one that is considered the de facto one (I should find the time to write that down in the Wiki some time -.-) and new code should be added following this): - no spaces between operators and symbols, both in assignments and expressions as well as parameter declarations - local variables are written in lower case with the declarations as "name1,name2,name3 : type"
- types are written in lower case
- method names are lower case with '_' as separator between words (so your DoVariableEnumCheck would become do_variable_enum_check)

And one very important technical remark:
*No* "as" (or "is") inside the compiler. Use hard casts as you already checked for the def type

---