Am 11.08.19 um 20:15 schrieb J. Gareth Moreton:
Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a nebulous question, but when might something be considered unmaintainable and hence rejected? For example, with my x86_64 optimiser overhaul, I've tried to make the code as straightforward as possible, but there are a few questionable tricks because one of my design restrictions was that -O1 and -O2 must not perform any worse than before, which was a bit difficult because pass 1 used to be executed twice no matter what (the one that stands out is how OptPass1MOV calls OptPass1XOR so it doesn't miss out on any optimisations with multiple concurrent MOV operations).  Might the restriction be waived if the resultant code became simpler?

IMO yes. If the code with -O1 or -O2 gets worse in a few cases, it doesn't matter. -O3 and -O4 are relevant for the best code.