On Sat, 5 Oct 2019, Bart wrote:

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 1:26 AM Michael Van Canneyt
<mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

> What if this piece of code ends up in the compiler?
> Can Embarcadero (or however they're called these days) sue us?

We'll just have to make sure the code isn't copied.

The problem here is that everyone could have come up with that
solution (given the bugdescription), but now this is tainted.

Why ? As you write:everyone could have come up with that solution.

For some problems, there is only 1 reasonable solution.

If we follow the reasoning leading to your remark, I must stop working on FPC on the spot.

I have gone through most parts of the RTL and VCL at some point in my
career when debugging. So I am totally tainted, and with me probably half the audience on
the lists and the forums.

We take care not to copy code.

Expecting that we're all virgin blank sheets of paper is not very realistic. We must be pragmatic in such issues.

Michael.