On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:

I tend to think more size gains can be obtained from more aggressive smartlinking.
The smartlinking is sometimes disabled by the way code is written.

To give an example, pas2js has a switch to convert published to public sections. As a result, the published sections are suddenly reduced to what is actually used in code. This produces significant size gains.

Michael.

That's true.  That's mentioned in the "size matters" article. I didn't know about 'published' until then.  Presumably, if that switch doesn't exist (like with most of the LCL), I gather the only way to strip out those unused published sections is some very intelligent whole-program optimisation, and even then it may not work if a string (to access a property name) is not deterministic.

WPO will not cut it, since the properties are usually loaded from a stream
which can be an external file or a resource. You simply do not know and have
no way to know. That is why all published variables are always kept.

Michael.