Am 09.11.19 um 18:19 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, Jonas Maebe wrote:

I have extensively argued before why I think the testsuite is completely
unsuitable for testing single unit functionality, I will not repeat my
arguments again.

We can add testsuite makefile targets that only run the tests under
units, or even only for a specific directory under units.

Running the testsuite (even part of it) requires too much preparation and takes too much time. It's also badly organized, you cannot easily run a single test if you need
that.

~/fpc/git/fpctrunk$ fpc tests/test/units/system/tval -v-
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.4+dfsg-18ubuntu2 [2018/08/29] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2017 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Linux for x86-64
Compiling tests/test/units/system/tval.pp
Linking tests/test/units/system/tval
/usr/bin/ld.bfd: warning: link.res contains output sections; did you forget -T?
31 lines compiled, 0.1 sec
~/fpc/git/fpctrunk$ tests/test/units/system/tval
Test val for longint type
All tests succeeded count=259958
Test val for dword type
All tests succeeded count=519916
Test val for int64 type
All tests succeeded count=779874
Test val for qword type
All tests succeeded count=1039832

?

The compiler testsuite is suitable for the compiler. I don't argue there, it takes waiting while the compiler is invoked on all test programs, this is unavoidable. To make sure some change is not breaking something you must run all tests.  You are used to it, so you see nothing wrong with it. That's OK.

But this way of working is way too slow & cumbersome for me.

And you don't call this unix only docompile.sh not cumbersome with the compiler parameters in some configuration file?

I definitely want to help to integrate the tests somehow in the daily testrun, but I will not use the slow testsuite.

As said, this is one of the void arguments, on a modern CPU it takes <1 min.