A follow-up.  I did some research on one of the 3rd party tools that was installed... IdleBuddy.  IT IS MALWARE.  Specifically it is a crypto miner (one that uses your resources and gives the credit to someone else).

Ironically, I use my laptop for crypto mining, so all my hardware resources are in use anyway!  Still, you bet I'm going to be giving my laptop a thorough scan now.  Curses.

Gareth aka. Kit