> On Apr 7, 2021, at 1:42 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-devel
> <fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, we want to change that for two reasons:
> - the constant string might be larger than 255 characters
> - ShortString is worse for passing as a by-value parameter (which will be the
> default after all) than AnsiString or UnicodeString as ShortString is
> completely copied while Ansi-/UnicodeString are only references with
> reference count adjustments

Ok, so with $H+ constant strings will be specialized as AnsiStrings. And there
is another unicode string mode I should do a similar thing with? Also if you
happen to know where I can get the state of $H+ that would be helpful otherwise
I need to track it down in the debugger. :)

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph