On 06/01/2023 20:36, Adriaan van Os via fpc-devel wrote:
Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel wrote:

- String = UnicodeString, Char=WideChar

UnicodeString ? ? I don't know what that is supposed to be. We have UCS-2, UCS-4, UTF-16 and UTF-8 Some marketing people, not understanding anything about computers, talk about "Unicode" to mean "UTF-16-treated-as-UCS-2".

For me, UTF-16 is the dumbest thing ever invented in computing. So I shiver at the thought of a "Unicode" RTL.

We really should use UTF-8, as most open source projects do.

There will be two RTLs: the current one (which supports any single-byte code page, including utf-8), and a unicode/utf-16 one for compatibility with recent Delphi versions.

Jonas