Marco van de Voort wrote:
A better metric might be finding somebody who offers a selection of VCS protocols (possibly with a common backend- I believe such things exist?) and then looking at the relative use for checkouts etc.
You can start by looking at the following Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_software_hosting_facilities

See the "Popularity" section. GitHub sits and 19.8mil projects.

If you look on the github referenced page, its repositories, not projects.
The translation to projects is wikipedias own.

The fact that github+gitlab  projects >people and by others the other way
around should ring a bell.

I get the feeling these stats are meaningless because github has a large excess of personal repositories that skews stats, while sf was more
collaboration oriented.

Also it's still based on what's being offered, not on what users would adopt if it were available.

Now it might be that git is inherently more secure than svn etc.- I don't mean more resilient when it comes to rolling back mischief, I mean *SECURE* as in "there's no buffer overflows or certificate weaknesses". Obviously that sort of thing would make it more attractive from the POV of somebody building a business around it, but so far I see nobody arguing that point and fewer people providing uncontestable evidence :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk