On 5/25/2018 12:34 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

I agree. The major intersection of UCSD Pascal and MS was that they could frequently be seen on the same Apple II system... MS made a Z80 card that allowed you to run CP/M-80, and it was very common to boot into one or the other. The P-System was actually a fairly late arrival for the PC and typically had a custom filesystem, while MS Pascal was "just another language" under DOS etc.

I don't recall Microsoft having any Pascal compiler for CP/M, the first version that I am aware (3.x) was already on PC/MS-DOS.

What those Z80 cards had in common with being used by people running Apple (UCSD) Pascal was that they were compatible to Apple's "Language Card" (slot 0) (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/42325/Apple-II-language-Card/) which had a replacement boot ROM and an additional 16KB of RAM, to allow the whole 64KB address space of the 6502 to be used. The most common Pascal on (Apple II) CP/M was at first probably Digitial Research's Pascal MT+, which was then also released as a PC/MS-DOS version for x86 as Pascal MT+ 86. There was also JRT Pascal, bad that was pretty bad, but all of those faded into oblivion once the first version of Turbo Pascal was released on CP/M, before the one for PC/MS-DOS...

(http://www.z80.eu/pas-compiler.html)

And UCSD Pascal did not "arrive late for the PC", it was among the offerings from IBM right from the start, but just like CP/M-86, it was just priced WAAAAYYY above PC-DOS, so very few people were actually using it, unless they had already significant exposure to it on the Apple II or devices like Sage or Cromemco back in the days before the IBM-PC.

Ralf

---