Am 29.04.2023 um 19:48 schrieb geneb via fpc-other:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2023, Bernd Oppolzer via fpc-other wrote:

This may be slightly off-topic, but I can tell you some facts about my Stanford Pascal compiler,
which runs

- native on z Mainframe machines (which may count as a RISC machine, given the instruction set used)
- emulated by Hercules, which is a emulator of z Mainframes
- by emulating P-Code, which is a (sort of) byte code for Pascal ... the P-Code (which is pure text, portable) is translated to a byte code representation before execution; static linking is also done in this stage

Bernd, is the dialect used by that compiler "standard" Pascal, UCSD Pascal, Turbo-compatible, or?

tnx.

g.

The dialect implemented by the New Stanford Pascal compiler is "standard" Pascal with some extensions,
for example

- extended const syntax (for structures and arrays etc.)
- support for external procedures (contained in "modules")
- CHAR(n) data type
- string data type
- static definitions
- initializations of variables and statics
- OTHERWISE on CASE
- BREAK, CONTINUE, RETURN
- direct read and write of scalar types (enums)
- with clause on record types
- pointers on variables which are not on the heap
- pointer arithmetic
- many new builtin procedures and functions

A short "language reference" (23 pages), which covers the differences to "standard" Pascal,
is available from this website: http://bernd-oppolzer.de/job9.htm
see the link on top of the page, just below the picture.

Kind regards

Bernd