On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, ???? ??????????? wrote:

To save your time, you should limit your tests to:

It doesn't take much human time.

1. Command-line tools.
    Creation of installs is automated.
    GUI tools cannot be used in automated builds.
2. Completely cross-platform.
    For obvious reasons.
3. Completely Open source.
    For obvious reasons.
4. Compress time should be definitely less than 10 minutes.
    Sometimes we do 4-5 builds one after the other.
    We simply cannot afford to wait 2 hours, and we never know
    whether the next build will be the final one.
Any solution that falls outside of this is not acceptable in advance.
Michael.

From first message:

1. rar,7z, bzip2+tar/bzip2+? (I used rar to create "ball"), gzip+tar/gzip+?
(-"-)
     it depends on script writer
2. nothing is completely cross-platform, but all the four archivers provide executables
(sources are great, but executables do work) for a good deal of platforms/systems (7z
disclaims that executables are "official").
3. 7z, bzip2, gzip
4. ???                                  well, if the thing is not bigger than
FPCsvn directory, they fit.

? I was talking about the time it takes to create the compressed file.
This should not

You didn't mention memory requirements.

Because they are not an issue.

Time, command-line use and availability are issues.

However, bzip2 is already great for FPC-sized installs.

Personally, I also think this can be used, but it should
be checked that this is available for all platforms.

Inno setup (for the windows installer) uses bz2, so that is
already a start :-)