is this bit of syntactic weirdness a fpc element, or from delphi. I've largely been away from pascal since the early 90s, mostly only using it to write dos-y non-object-y utilities, for which it excels. typed constants seem to basically to be like the static keyword from c.. but not a var modifier.. It just seems it should be a modifier for var. such as var st:string static;.. since.. constant is usually pretty wrapped up in the meaning of "not changing." and that it has a constant, initialized, reserved place in memory is.. well.. abstract. Especially since you can initialize your variables now, then the only thing that makes it special is that it is a global variable with a local scope.

I'm not the sort who thinks pascal should be C, because I hate having to work with C or it's work likes. I just think that being able to call something constant and change it muggles the syntactic clarity of the language, which is otherwise rather good.