Op Fri, 18 Jan 2008, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Daniël Mantione wrote:

Op Fri, 18 Jan 2008, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

To the user, it may appear as a bunch of dots. To the compiler, it doesn't
know how to map the a.b.c.d:

Well, with normal Pascal rules, you cannot declare a variable with the same
name as a unit you use, because a unit is also an identifier. Most logical
would be to reject the declaration of variable A in this case due to a
duplicate identifier.

No, because the unit identifier is a.b.c, not a.

It has to be, otherwise units windows.messages and windows.records would
both have identifier windows, leading to an error.

You are right. In other words, .NET namespaces cannot be unified with normal scoping rules, meaning you would need a new set of scoping rules and mark the old ones legacy. Not acceptable. I have made my conclusion: No .NET namespaces and no dots in names.

Daniël