p.s. I think the inconsistent behavior between local scope records and global scope records is kind of a flaw/danger in modern pascal.. as the bugs may not be caught until someone builds a program with local scope var..

Using uninitialised variables is virtually always bad, regardless of the scope. And the fact that global variables are zeroed at the program start is afaik not defined by the Pascal standard. It's just a side effect of the way most operating systems work.

Affirmative.

Pascal does not define any variable initialization itself - one should always init all Pascal vars of any type. Doing so is an excellent coding habit also portable to any other language/OS - protects against low-level implementation changes.

I never trust a side effect I didn't code myself..... 8-))

Gary