Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Any documentation for Interbase 5.5 or 6.0 should be fairly helpful.

TBH, the way Firebird did security last time I looked, was pretty similar to the way SQL Server does it if you don't use integrated security. Adding users was hell, but adding grants etc was pretty simple.

The bigger issue with Firebird was that it was so unstable (but then, so is Interbase) and required a lot of fiddling to stop it misbehaving (some of which might have been the archaic components and poor code I inherited.) I won't vent my spleen about Interbase/Firebird, except to say: it works really well till you start writing UDF libraries in Pascal. The Free UDF lib is buggy and also there are a number of subtly different versions floating around and no real version control. It has some nice features (Stored Procedures and the "for select ... suspend" mechanism) but I would never use Interbase in production again and would need to see pretty conclusive proof that Firebird had improved greatly. I did read they now have a PL/SQL emulation layer... that sounds really nice.

Hi,

Anybody know of a Firebird book I can purchase? Language needs to be in English.

I'm looking for something that covers the SQL syntax, DB tuning and
importantly, security.

The latter is one major issue I have with Firebird. It's security
model is very different to MS SQL Server, and I'm struggling to find
information on how I should implement my applications with Firebird
security.

Regards,
  - Graeme -